1900 Followers
thebookvortex

The Book Vortex

“Push yourself. Don't Settle. Just live well. Just LIVE.”

SPOILER ALERT!

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones  - Cassandra Clare

Summary:

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

Read more on Goodreads.

I have to say that the first book from the Mortal Instruments sequel surprised me in a very pleasant way. I actually did not expect it to be this good or to like it so much as to give it almost 5 ★s. I loved the characters and the story they were telling, I got so into this book that I did not want to put it down.

There are reviewers out there giving this book a lot of heat and while the last thing I want to do is defend it, I have to say that there are some stuff out there that are not true. Maybe I'm not the best judge, but this book is not poorly written. It may very well be that my standards are lower than the Mariana Trench, but seriously have you read Twilight? Because I did, it was shit. Have you read Fifty Shades of Gray? If you haven't, don't. It's not worth it.

Then of course there's the plagiarism scandal and if you don't know what I'm talking about I'll direct you to The Cassandra Clare Plagiarism Debacle. I don't give the slightest f*ck about it being plagiarized, I won't praise her and this wonderful idea she had because as it looks like it wasn't her idea. The fact of the matter is that knowing this will only prevent me from becoming her so called fan. Actually there is only one writer I love and would marry, so while I may call myself a fan of some writer, I hardly ever feign interest in their lives - I simply do not care. I received her books as a gift, I didn't give my money to her, no reason to feel bad.

So, about the book:

While there's definitely room to improve on the world-building, I feel like she nailed it with the characters. I found them likable and funny, you could easily empathize with every one of them. The main character, Clary was definitely depicted as almost a handicapped person but it didn't really bother me because in this new found world that's what she was. Her mother tries to keep her away from the world she hates for as long as she can, but you know... when you have a calling, you have a calling. Incapable of defending herself she mostly relies on a rebellious boy, Jace Wayland who frequently questions the status-quo. Of course they have a crush on each other and of course there's a love triangle (Clary's BFF Simon is a Muggle or Mundane as they call it in this book, who is completely and utterly in love with her and oh Princess Naive does not know). While this whole concept may seem cheesy and overused, it was laid down very cleverly and the romance stuff didn't get to bother me at all (and it usually bothers me A LOT).

We later on find out that Jace is actually her brother, at least that's what the baddy of this series tells us: Valentine Morgenstern (father of Clary Morgenstern). I always found that Voldemort was so uni-dimensional, pure evil and nothing more. Well, while Valentine is also the Hitler of the world he belongs to, he is not only evil. Or at least that's what I thought.

I really loved the rune thing - they use what they call a steele (I just imagined it is a wand) to write runes on various body parts (like a tattoo) in order to give them certain powers. Pretty awesome shit if you ask me. So yes, they all look badass which is always a plus.

I don't have much else to say, this is definitely developing into a guilty pleasure. I love how this book made me feel. There aren't a lot of good fantasy books out there and I really missed wanting to just stay awake and read through the whole night.

Would I recommend it? Yes, definitely. Step away from all the plagiarism, borrow it from someone and just read it like young adult fantasy books are meant to be read.