thebookvortex

The Book Vortex

“Push yourself. Don't Settle. Just live well. Just LIVE.”

Divergent by Veronica Roth: Review/Rant

Divergent - Veronica Roth

Summary: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves... or it might destroy her.
from Goodreads.

Who else thought, after reading the first half of Divergent, that this story is amazing and it can only get better?

raise

Yeah well, haha you were wrong and I was wrong and I am reasonably pissed about it. I've been talking a lot about this problem I seem to have with every character from almost every book I read nowadays, but in case I did not make myself clear I'll give it another go.

I'll start with the Likes, 'cause you know, it's easier to start with the good stuff.

So, Likes:

• I like the whole separated into factions idea, clever stuff

• I felt like I could actually connect to Tris (that is until I got to the second half of the book), I totally understood why she chose the Dauntless and I actually enjoyed their whole initiation process (I think I'm a Dauntless at heart)

• Rivalry - always a plus, stabbing Edward in the eye was a really nice touch, Ms. Roth

Dislikes:

Oh well, I have a lot of dislikes despite the fact that I just rated it 3 and half stars and that's because retarded romance books totally ruined me for objective rating.

Let's start with this trend or whatever, where writers create stupid characters. No, it's not that they're ridiculous, it's that they are stupid, so stupid. I cannot emphasize the word stupid enough.

I'm not a writer, one day maybe, but the fact is that I'm not, so I couldn't possibly understand how hard it is to create a person out of thin air and make that person believable. But for the love of all that is good in books, MUST she realize TWICE that her mother was Dauntless?

FOUR - all he talks about are fears, one of the Dauntless members actually tells Tris that it's not much that Four fears nowadays, but by the time Tris realizes what his nickname actually means I was practically screaming FOUR FEARS, FOUR FEARS, FOUR FEARS. Must you be SO stupid?!

Actually, the part where Marcus, one of the Abnegation leaders, is Tobias/Four's father was pretty obvious for me too, but I've got an eye for detail. I get distracted by these details, that's why I couldn't enjoy this book as much as everyone else. I want writers to write me characters that catch on to certain facts before I get annoyed and scream my head off because of their intrinsic stupidity.

Oh, I almost forgot about those lip biting parts.

lipbiting

Is this what you do when you're anxious too? Anxious to have sex maybe.

"Oh Four, how did you figure it out I LIKE (to be read LOVE) you?"

"I don't know, OH OH I think it's because you look like you want to suck my... soul every time our eyes meet."

Phew, I felt like they needed to have this conversation. I love that she's not pretty, but powerful. She takes control of her fears and even though she comes from Amish land, she adjusts to her new way of life pretty quickly. I guess she's so amazing, Veronica Roth just had to make her slow, you know, to compensate for all the GREATNESS.

I don't know, there were a few facepalm moments and it totally ruined my reading experience.

“We are all awed by your incredible wit,” says Will - indeed.

Another thing that really got to me was that Erudite got to be the big bad intellectual wolves. Abnegation, the God-fearing people got to be the victims. Sounds familiar? Nope? Then you're, most probably, not an atheist. It's just the first book so it could go either way, nothing is set in stone yet, but I know that the writer is religious so I fear that I'm going to roll my eyes a lot more than I did reading Divergent.

What else? I should really write down my thoughts while reading.

Oh, the romance was shit. "Why do you like me, Tobias? Why? Why? I'm not pretty, I'm ugly, why? why? why?" Blah, blah, blah *puking* "I hope that he doesn't see how much I like him" *lip biting*

eye

I'm exaggerating - it was NOT that bad, I just didn't like it at all. It's me. It's JUST ME, apparently.

Do I recommend this book? I don't know, do you like corny romance in a super-cool dystopian world?